The Point 65 Whisky 16 is a new 16-foot kayak, designed by the famed sea kayaker, Nigel Foster. It offers a great learning experience for any novice on gentle waters because it is easy to maneuver, and is comfortable and stable.
On the other hand, the Whisky 16 is ideal for experienced paddlers surfing on turbulent waters and maneuvering through rocky outcrops, given its narrow design. If you are looking for a new kayak, the Point 65 Whisky 16 is worth considering and our Point 65 Whisky review goes in-depth into the why:
Is the Point 65 Whisky 16 Frame Super Durable?
The Point 65 Whisky 16 displays a three-layer polyethylene design that gives ultimate stiffness while reducing the weight of the kayak, making it easier to carry and maneuver. Weighing 55 pounds, the Point 65 Whisky 16 touring kayak is ideal for all types of water sports paddling. The fiberglass composite is void trapped to reduce excessive resin and the design also incorporates a honeycomb mat, which is sandwiched between the layers to increase stiffness.
To ensure the comfort of the paddler, the cockpit, which measures 30.7″x 16.1″ and just aft of center, is padded and has an adjustable and inflatable backrest. The narrow keyhole offers a close-fitting design that is easy to control.
Additionally, the foot pegs are also adjustable, making the Point 65 Whisky 16 kayak suitable for all people interested in an exciting paddling experience. You can easily adjust the pedals by turning a rod, which is below the kayaker’s knee, to free the pedal with your toe.
Additionally, the Whisky 16 has recessed fitting throughout its design and a spare paddle can easily fit on the stern and bow. The grab lines occur in short segments and are well spaced. Although the Whisky does not come with a rudder, the manufacturers have included ports for an optional rudder. The width of the Point 65 Whisky 16 is 22″ and it has a weight capacity of 341 pounds.
The skeg is placed far behind, which is ideal when packing for a trip and is easy to control with a knob near the cockpit, even with gloves on. The skeg is easily retractable and ideal for tracking and prevents weathercocking (a kayak’s tendency to turn into the wind while you’re paddling forward) in the case of strong winds. With a fat hull and hard chine, the Whisky 16 offers a great surfing experience. The flat hull easily stays on the surface.
Features of the Point 65 Whisky 16
In this part of the Point 65 Whisky 16 review, you’ll discover the various features of this phenomenal kayakPaddlers can also feel secure with the Point 65 Whisky because it has incorporated reflective deck lines, which make water rescue easier and improves visibility in poor lighting conditions. A compass that is just forward of the bow hatch aids in navigation when kayaking. However, the Silva 70P compass is not incorporated into the Whisky 16, but it can be purchased separately.
More importantly, the Point 65 Whisky kayak offers moderate stability and is easy to track. The excellent maneuverability makes it easy for the kayak to go wherever it is directed. It is easy to do a full 180 degree turn with two strokes, as the kayak effortlessly responds to arching and mild leaning.
In terms of speed, the Whisky 16 is quick and fast, probably due to its light weight. It quickly accelerates, making it easy to catch waves. It cruises around speeds of 3 1/2 knots and can accelerate to 6 knots during sprinting. The shape of the deck and the position of the knee and thigh braces enables full application of power.
Paddlers also get to enjoy a 2-year limited warranty. The Point 65 Whisky 16 kayak comes in different colors, including red, yellow, orange, lime, blue and light blue.
The Point 65 Whisky offers large storage compartments for paddlers, making it ideal for both daytime and overnight paddling. The round hatch behind the cockpit, measuring 6″x 6″, offers quick storage of items, while the hatch at the front, measuring 17.6″x 10.4″, opens up to compartments under the deck.
The Point 65 Whisky 16 kayak’s aft hatch is the same size as the front hatch, and the day hatch measures 7.9″x 7.9″. There are contoured bulkheads under the deck for storage of bulky items and the stretchy deck rigging offers storage for items that are too large.
- Constructed of polyethylene, making the Point 65 Whisky 16 generally lighter to carry and maneuver
- The light weight of the Point 65 Whisky 16 is an advantage, because even after additional items are stored in the kayak, it is generally lighter than most kayaks
- Large, comfortable and fitting hand grips make the kayak easier to carry, and they can be retracted when not in use
- Unique thigh bracing where paddlers can control the kayak with their knees, either together or separate
- Point 65 AIR-Backrest™, which offers maximum support and comfort for your back
- A stiff back band for maximum support while paddling
- Reflective deck lines make water rescue easy in dim light
- The compass recess allows for easy replacement of the compass, allowing you to insert whichever one you choose
- The foot pedals are stiff, but also easy to adjust
- The Point 65 Whisky 16 kayak offers the option to install a rudder
- Rolling and flipping is easy with the Whisky 16
- The fuller bow and stern shape reduce plunging
- Smooth exterior and interior finish
- The Point 65 Whisky is nose heavy, making it difficult to balance in a solo carry
- The keyhole opening is only wide enough for a single knee entry, increasing the risk of scraping the skin, if not done carefully
- The seat is unpadded, making it uncomfortable for a whole day of kayaking
- There is a bit of leaking into the compartments that could be improved upon
- Due to the narrow keyhole, sliding out of the kayak is difficult
- The Point 65 Whisky is slightly unstable, making it difficult for beginners to paddle
Point 65 Whisky 16 Review Conclusion
In this Point 65 Whisky 16 review, you’ve learned that the Point 65 Whisky 16 is well designed and offers a great kayaking experience for all paddlers. Its excellent maneuverability will give you a chance to undertake the roughest waves and have fun.
With its great speed, the Point 65 Whisky users can easily keep up with other paddlers and participate in competitions easily. However, the design needs a few upgrades with regards to stability, comfort and water tightness. However, the Point 65 Whisky 16 is recommendable and offers value for the money.
Whether you are a beginner or an experienced kayaker, try the Point 65 Whisky today for a better paddling and surfing experience.