The Seaward Tyee XLC Kevlar Kayak (Seaward Tyee XLC for short!) is a well engineered watercraft designed for both the novice and pro. Built for performance and beauty, the Tyee is quick in the water, seaworthy, and stable. For such a long boat, it turns easily and its beauty turns a few heads when you go to launch it.
The Seaward Tyee XLC Kayak is an extremely versatile kayak; it is a great watercraft to use if you like fishing, overnight touring, photography, duck hunting, or just plain getting out on the water. Once you’re out there, you’ll appreciate the high standards that Seaward Kayaks built into this piece of performing art. Rugged elegance would be a great description for the Seaward Tyee kayak.
Frame of the Seaward Tyee XLC Kevlar Kayak
The Seaward Tyee XLC’s frame has a long 17 foot long waterline, combined with a generous 2 foot beam, making the Tyee XLC kayak a stable one that is quick and responsive for a long cruise. Its Greenland up-swept bow will slice through rougher water with ease. Altogether, its dimensions are 17 feet long, 24 inches wide, and 14.5 inches deep, providing a great platform for water fun.
The Kevlar hull makes the Seaward Tyee XLC kayak almost bombproof, bouncing off rocks and trees with very little damage. You will find that it easily handles choppy water. That up-swept bow pushes through the waves better when it has a little load in the front, so go ahead and pack a good picnic.
The cockpit is very generous, and if you have bad memories of doing a wet exit, you’ll appreciate how much extra room it has. You won’t get your legs stuck when extricating yourself from an overturned kayak. The Seaward Tyee XLC seating is easy to fine tune to your body type. The seat back can be adjusted forward and back by using the pre-formed holes, and it can be tilted to a right angle using a strap. The seat bottom is padded with mini-cell foam. You won’t feel the cold coming through the seat like you do with cheap molded plastic seats.
Any Special Features With The Seaward Kayaks’ Tyee XLC Kevlar Kayak Offering?
At 51 pounds, this Seaward Tyee XLC Kevlar model is slightly lighter than the fiberglass model. It has some heft to it but that only confirms how rugged and seaworthy they build it. The molded padded seat and backrest make for a comfortable ride. They are easily adjusted and keep you protected from the jolts that choppy water can give to your back.
The Sea-Dog foot pedals take a little getting used to, but along with the rudder, they are easy to operate. The Seaward Tyee XLC boat tracks well so it doesn’t take much to keep it going in a straight line. It is very responsive and only takes a little flinch of your foot to adjust the course. The smart rudder system will keep you steady.
When you order, you should have a choice of some great colors that add to the beauty of the watercraft. Pick black or white, teal or red, ivory or burgundy. You can even go with funky colors like signal yellow, mandarin or fuschia.
You don’t want to spill, but if you are in over your head, the Safe Hatch system will keep your gear from getting away from you. It will also keep it from getting soaked in the surf, so you can look forward to dry clothes after a long day on the water.
The Safe Rescue System makes it easier to re-enter the Seaward Tyee XLC Kevlar kayak in case of an adventurous spill. The kayak itself is pretty stable, so that also helps. When practicing deep water re-entries, you’ll see that there is more than enough leverage to pull yourself back into the Seaward Tyee XLC kayak beauty!
Is There Enough Storage Space?
According to Seaward Kayaks, the Seaward Tyee XLC kayak has 415 liters of storage space. To put that in perspective, it is more space than you would get if you crammed all your food and gear into 20 5-gallon buckets from the home improvement store. In other words, with careful planning, you can fit everything you need for a week-long trip.
As I said before, the Seaward Tyee XLC kayak actually rides better with some extra weight in the front. In fact, that extra volume allows for a dry ride even if you are heavily loaded for your overnight adventure. Don’t be afraid to treat yourself with extra food or gear. With all that space, you should be able to handle another 70 pounds or more of supplies on the water.
- Kevlar reinforced hull is very rugged, so you don’t have to worry about hitting rocks or trees
- Cockpit is very generous, easy to get in or out if you are a big person
- The Seaward Tyee XLC seat is adjustable so you can paddle comfortably
- Rudder system allows you to track straight in the water, so there is less effort
- Greenland up-swept bow slices through the waves so you can rocket across the water
- 17 foot boat tracks well and wants to go in a straight line
- Extra large storage capacity for versatility of use, from picnicking to cruising
- Well engineered design is stable, fast and seaworthy
- Seaward Tyee XLC Kevlar comes in great colors of your choice, mixing functionality with beauty
- Built specifically to adapt to the needs of the newbie kayaker and the pro
- The Seaward Tyee XLC contains a large cockpit without thigh braces
- The padding for the knees is slippery so you don’t always get the leverage you need; a rougher pad would help
- It would be easier to get into the Seaward Tyee XLC (after a deep water spill) if the deck lines extended to behind the cockpit
- Some people have a tough time doing a self rescue in the Seaward Tyee kayak, but a two person rescue is very doable
- The price is high for some people, so this is a long term investment
Seaward Tyee XLC Kevlar Kayak Review Summary
Altogether, the Seaward Kayaks‘ Tyee XLC Kevlar Kayak is an amazing piece of equipment that you can use on slow rivers, Great Lake surges or ocean surf. It is easy to get into and out of because the cockpit is very generous. The kayak is stable and edges very well, yet is quick and responsive in the water, even with a full load.
This is Seaward’s most stable kayak. It handles choppy water comfortably and pushes back the wave very well if it has a light load. No wonder this offering, the Seaward Tyee XLC Kayak is a favorite with many tour operators.