Did you know that while most fishing kayaks will “do the job”, it is important to look at everything that one offers: room and storage to store your fish is key, as well as “little things” like the number of rod holders and how well it tracks! Oh, and how about that seat, so your butt doesn’t go number in the first hour of your fishing trip?
Since you will be using your fishing kayak for years to come, it is important to not skimp out on budget unless completely necessary. With that said, here is our list of the best fishing kayak and, furthermore, if you need in-depth information, we will also be directing you to the full-length fishing kayak reviews where possible.
Without further ado, the following are the top 10 fishing kayak on our list, but first, we have a table for those of you too impatient to scroll through the details of each. We have editor’s notes on top selections. Enjoy!
[table id=best-fishing-kayaks /]
Best Fishing Kayak Reviews On Our 14 Best Fishing Kayak Guide:
1. Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler
Our first choice on our list of of top 14 best fishing kayak is the Ocean Kayak Prowler 13!
As it is often standard, the Prowler 13 is made from polyethylene and measures 13’4″ in length and 28″ in width. It comes in around 56 pounds, while its seat type is sitting on top. It has a weight capacity of 300-400 pounds and only one paddler can use it at a time, meaning it is a one person kayak.
The foot braces on this Ocean Kayak Prowler Angler will help to secure your feet in the molds. The best part regarding the foot braces is that they are adjustable, so you can adjust your sitting position easily.
The inside of the Prowler 13 Angler deck is well-contoured, which helps to keep the water from making a pool on the inside of your boat, saving you from getting too wet. This is a great nuisance on most fishing boats, hence why the Ocean Prowler 13 made our top fishing kayak list. You can plug up the scupper holes to keep the water out, and when you’re back on land, you can unplug them to drain water that may have spilled in; this is why this particular kayak made it as our #1 option for the best fishing kayak.
The Transducer Compatible Scupper is another important feature of the Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler sit-on-top kayak. It is designed to let the beam from your transducer fish finder penetrate the hull, thus enabling you to find fish that are deep down. Honestly, you can not go wrong with picking this as your selection. All of the features add up, making it our best fishing kayak choice. However, there’s a lot more to consider. Keep reading.
- The deck layout is quite exceptional and has room for customization
- Its speed is unmatched compared to other fishing kayaks here
- Our #1 choice for the best fishing kayak ranks well because of its V-shaped keel
- This contender doesn’t come with a rudder but one can be added on
- Hatches are not fully waterproof
- Its molded foot wells can become quite frustrating for the user
2. Hobie Pro Angler 12
Undoubtedly, one of the baddest, best fishing kayaks on the market, the Hobie Pro Angler has a capacity of 500lb which allows you not only to carry a lot around, but also allowing for free movement, including standing, when fishing. Thanks to its hull construction of rotomolded Polyethylene, this fishing kayak allows you to strongly dominate any kind of waters.
This is a one person kayak. Its build is centered on the Mirage Drive with Glide Technology pedal drive system. The size of the Hobie Angler 12 allows for ocean fishing and to adequately counter waves at 12 inches long by 36 inches wide.
The seat comes with lumbar support; it is adjustable height on the back and the bottom. It also creates that extra space to allow you to fish while standing comfortably. To make the experience amazing, the seat of the Hobie Pro Angler 12 can also be adjusted up five inches higher.
The Hobie Pro Angler 12’s live-bait tank is not only a massive eight gallon tank, but is also designed with you, the fisher, in mind! The Livewell basically recirculates fresh water throughout to keep your bait alive. See why it made our selection for best fishing kayak 😉
- It’s a major worry for many when going kayaking in salty waters that the boat will corrode. The Hobie H-rail, for example, comes with a rust-resistant mounting system that ensures this best fishing kayak choice #2 can go into salty waters without worries of corrosion.
- There are two outstanding features that can’t be ignored: the H-Rail Horizontal Rod Rack and the H-Rail Cup Holder. Your rods can be out of your way and safely mounted. The cup holder is just so damn convenient!
- This kayak can easily fit on the back of many pick-up trucks.
- Costly, so be prepared to fork over a few thousand dollars!
3. Perception Pescador 12 Pilot Best Fishing Kayak
Our #3 best fishing kayak reviews choice: The Perception Pescador 12 Pilot is a pedal-driven, sit-on-top kayak produced by Perception Kayaks. This fishing kayak is made for single person use.
After reading the following specs, you’ll see why this one is the third-best fishing kayak on the list: the Perception Pescador 12 Pilot has a total length of 12’5″, a width of exactly 33.75″, and weighs 85 pounds. When it comes to the loading capacity, the Perception Pescador 12 Pilot kayak can handle a maximum weight of 475 pounds.
There are numerous features that define the Perception Pescador 12 Pilot kayak as one of the best fishing kayaks on the market. This fishing kayak has a well-designed seat that features on-the-fly adjustments. Also, there is a Transducer Scupper mount that makes it easy as pie to handle a number of electronics.
The cockpit features an ergonomic design that allows the user to pedal easily for a hands-free ride. The seat of the Perception Pescador 12 Pilot includes some tension knobs and offers just enough comfort for short duration use.
This fishing kayak #3 also comes with two storage pods for keeping any necessary items. These two are well secured for handling sensitive items.
- Easy maneuverability and steering with a low profile rudder
- Sufficient rod holders and ample storage options
- Comes with a Pilot Drive for great balance and easy operation
- Adjustable seat for increased functionality and comfort
- A great, affordable choice for a fishing kayak
- The mounting technique for the pedals can seem a bit complicated, initially
- The rod holders and drink holders are limited in size
- The rudder needs constant adjustment to work well
4. Malibu Kayaks X-Factor Fishing Kayak
The Malibu X Factor sit-on-top kayak offers you a very handy way to fish without worrying about storage space. Primarily meant for single person use, this kayak could possibly hold two people, although it’s recommended that it be used for single use.
The Malibu Kayaks X Factor kayak measures 14’4″ long, and is 33″ wide, offering enough space to accommodate any build. There’s a 13″ deep underwater keel, with a 4.76″ depth from the waterline. Due to its build, this fishing kayak can be used in shallow waters as well as deep waters.
Another great feature of this best fishing kayak is that the bow and stern areas have child seating areas. The bow’s child seating area is situated above the gator hatch, while the stern sitting area is located within the rear bungee storage area. A child’s seat can be placed in each area, which is awesome if you’re taking the little ones on a trip with you.
With four flush-mounted rod holders, two at the front and two at the back, there is very little chance of strain trying to affix your fishing rod and spear before and after use. The Malibu X Factor fishing kayak’s cockpit features a handy looking cup holder. It also contains a set of self-draining trays to minimize water puddles.
- This best fishing kayak selection features lots of storage and spacious areas
- Roomy and comfortable for users
- Comfortable seat options that can be purchased separately
- Can hold up to 625 pounds
- The hatch cover lid may not be water tight, making the kayak vulnerable to a bit of water flooding
- A bit slow without a motor
5. Hobie Adventure Island
Congratulations! You have made it half way through our best fishing kayaks reviews list. Let’s keep moving onto this super unique sailing & fishing kayak. So how did this make it as one of our top selections for best fishing kayak? Keep reading on:
Not only is the Hobie Adventure Island a fishing kayak, but it can also be used to sail… yes, you read that right! To its credit, the kayak also comes equipped with a transducer for fishing. You can forget about buying transducer lines and going through the hassle of manual fixes. Truly, you will find the Hobie Adventure Island Kayak to be one of a kind “kayak” of best fishing kayaks.
The Hobie Adventure Island best fishing kayak has a build that is is quite different, both in form and size. This sailing kayak’s main hull measures 16’7” in length.
The Hobie Adventure Island is only meant for one person. The paddles are based on Hobie’s patented MirageDrive 180 technology which generates smooth movement in the water. Thanks to its power gearing system, it is much easier to paddle than most bicycles.
With two rod holders just behind the kayaker’s seat, the Hobie Adventure Island kayak just became more fun to use. These molded-in holders can be used to hold your fishing rods and nets in place. You can also attach your fishing gaffs (a pole with a hook to help pull in big fish) here and continue with your sail as you await a catch.
- This best fishing kayak option # 5 is able to achieve high levels of speed due to its sail
- The Hobie Adventure Island Kayak Ama, with elongated Akas, give it extra buoyancy
- The Hobie Adventure Island kayak MirageDrive 180 system grants easy paddling, unlike the traditional paddling system
- A relatively efficient rudder system which is easy to use
- The addition of the transducing lines
- The Vantage CT seat might be rigid for some
- More expensive than a typical fishing kayak (but way more fun!), even our typical range here for the best fishing kayak selections
Editor’s Notes: If budget is NO PROBLEM, then the Hobie Adventure Island, so far, wins our hearts in the top 5 list of best fishing kayaks. Not only is it a best fishing kayak strong selection, but heck, it is also a comfortable sailing kayak which you can enjoy in so many ways: solo fishing trip, picnicking, watching dolphins, whatever desires your heart. Not sold yet? Keep reading about our #6, which is a Hobie Adventure but for two people!
6. Hobie Tandem Island
While the above mentioned Hobie Adventure Island is a fun sailing & fishing kayak, it is a one person kayak. Welcome to the tandem version of that sailing kayak: the Hobie Tandem Island! It is not hard to understand why the Hobie Adventure as well as the Hobie Tandem made it as #6 in our best fishing kayaks list 🙂
The Hobie Tandem Island has a length of 18’6″ and a width of 30″. The hull weighs 130 pounds and 240 pounds when fully loaded with accessories. This sailing & fishing kayak is not exactly lightweight, so you might need a hand carrying it to the water and bringing it ashore.
Thanks to its quality constructed frame, the Hobie Tandem Island Sail will not only accommodate up to 600 pounds, but it will also ensure great stability while sailing in tough conditions, such as strong water currents or winds:
The Mirage Drive technology gives you the option of pedaling the Hobie Tandem Island Sail kayak when the sail is up and furled, once again enhancing your kayaking experience, making it one of our top, best fishing kayak contender!
You can purchase trampolines for the Hobie Tandem Island Sail for extra storage, and they can also be used to lay on, prevent water from spraying into the cockpits, or to invite kids or dogs along! They are made of a strong vinyl mesh that can be firmly tied to the kayak for reliable security.
If you and your partner go fishing regularly, then the Hobie Tandem Island is the best fishing kayak for you, hands down!!!
- Two MirageDrives and rudder controls in the front and rear for dual steering is why this made it as our #6 best fishing kayak option!
- Multiple storage options on the Hobie Tandem Island Sail, with the option to add more
- Excellent performance, versatility, and stability
- Faster than most kayaks, easily maneuverable
- Vantage CT seats with lumbar support that are easily adjustable
- Optional 8-gallon live-bait tank for fishing and trampolines for extra storage space
- Too expensive for people looking for a basic fishing kayak
- Too heavy for people to use if they are heading out alone
Editor’s Note: Here it is: For all the reasons we love the Hobie Adventure Island: those are the same reasons we love the Hobie Tandem Island but it gets better: the Hobie Tandem is made for two people. Easily an amazing selection for best fishing kayak especially if you want some nice room in your water vehicel.
7. Hobie Pro Angler 14
#7 best fishing kayak on our list is the Hobie Angler 14! The new Vantage seating system with Boa Lumbar support is the most comfortable seating platform on any fishing kayak. With a nicely adjustable back, bottom, height and lumbar support, you’ll find the perfect position in the Hobie Pro Angler 14 best fishing kayak. Welcome to our #7 best fishing kayaks on the list!
It comes with the H-Rail cup holder and a horizontal rod rack. More fun features include a tracing keel, a retractable skeg that improves tracking when traveling long distances, XL padeyes, and the Lowrance-ready transducer mount.
Measuring 14 feet in length, this best fishing kayak selection is made to haul big fish while riding in stability. The Hobie Pro Angler 14 offers a level of stability and utility that surpasses most fishing kayaks, featuring a seat design closer to what one would expect to see on a boat. Its hull provides a stable platform for standing, which allows for great sight fishing.
This model features the MirageDrive, a hands-free propulsion system that enables the use of your legs when propelling so that your hands are free to complete other tasks.
- Very stable and almost hands free
- Many built in features
- The MirageDrive is fast, compared to paddling
- Contains 2 hidden flip-up Plano tackle boxes built in
- The rudder steering can be done with your left or right hand
- Its sheer size can be problematic for people trying to move around in small, cluttered bodies of water. Make sure that the massive Hobie Pro Angler 14 kayak will fit in your fishing spot before purchasing it.
8. Old town Vapor 10
#8 on our best fishing kayak list is the Old Town Vapor 10: The Old Town Vapor 10 Angler Kayak offers a stable ride with a large cockpit intended for comfort and storage. The stern day well is great for holding on to extra gear or filling up with some cold brews for a day of fun in the sun.
This lightweight 10 foot fishing kayak weighs 47 pounds, and has carrying handles molded right to the front and back of the linear polyethylene body. The weight of the Old Town Vapor 10 Angler Kayak and the built-in carry handles make it super easy to transport, even if you have to do it all by yourself.
Old Town Vapor 10 Angler Kayak’s most impressive feature is that it tracks incredibly well. If a decent amount of speed is applied, it moves at an amazing pace as if it has a motor, making it one of our best fishing kayak selections.
It also provides a lot of room for your gear, including a dry hatch, a flexible cooler, duffle bag, and room for more stuff on the side. There’s room behind the seat for a sleeping bag, and more gear between your feet. No way our best fishing kayak list would be complete without this offering!
- With a maximum load range of between 275 to 325 pounds, this best fishing kayak contender suits heavier kayakers
- It has a paddle rest molded onto the kayak
- Adjustable ComfortFlex padded seat offers all day paddling comfort
- Skid plate on the bottom protects the kayak from wear and tear
- Good tracking
- The drain plug location is terrible for actually finding the perfect position to get the water out. You strain like crazy trying to find the right spot, tilting the kayak from side to side to get the water to run out of that hole; the biggest flaw in this #8 best fishing kayak contender
With so many pros outweighing the cons, can you see why this Vapor 10 angler made it on our best kayaks list?
9. Sun Dolphin Journey 12
#9th best fishing kayak is the Sun Dolphin Journey. The Sun Dolphin Journey 12 is a 12-foot long, rigid, high-density polyethylene kayak specially formulated for this brand. The Fortiflex material gives the boat high UV resistant qualities. It also gifts the deck of the boat with anti-scratch and anti-crack qualities, which are crucial, especially when kayaking in rough waters.
This solo vessel & #9 best fishing kayak option is capable of accommodating up to 395 pounds, which is a very good standard for almost all sizes of kayakers. This also makes this #9 best fishing kayak option suitable for long fishing expeditions. To top up the wide range usability feature, the Sun Dolphin Journey 12 has simple, but comfy form seats. While not the best fishing kayak on the market, it is easily one of them, especially with what you get for a lower budget.
- The Sun Dolphin Journey 12 best fishing kayak is light enough for one person to carry
- Cheaper than most kayaks offering the same functionality
- Easily stabilizes in rough weather, making it an easy pick for a best fishing kayak contender!
- Ideal for beginners, as we’ve already learned in this Sun Dolphin Journey 12 review
- Addition of a P.A.C creates extra storage space
- Blatant lack of hatches takes away from its ‘fishing capable’ feature
- Material can be brittle, so no dragging it on the ground during storage and transportation
- Seating is not suitable for all users, so extra pads might need to be purchased
10. Fissot Best Fishing Kayak
You’ve arrived at #10 on our best fishing kayaks list! The Fissot kayak is a motorized kayak that’s been on the market for a few years now. Some find it controversial, while others find it… revolutionary.
As a whole, the body measures almost 11′ x 33.5″ x 16.6″. This size puts it right in the middle of the short kayak class. Since the Fissot kayak is a modular model, all the parts are attached to the central frame.
The stability of the Fissot best fishing kayak is also improved upon by the wings on the side that open up to allow for weight distribution & is the main factor in it coming in at #10 for Killer Kayak’s best fishing kayak list. There is an adjustable bar in the middle of the Fissot fishing kayak that provides support for when the paddler/angler is in an upright position. It’s uniqueness is what brings it on board as a serious contender for the best fishing kayak around!
It function with a 12V battery in the system that provides power to the motor. This battery runs for 2 to 3 hours before running out, after it’s charged for the same amount of time. In total, the electric power in the system is 480W. There is a single paddle included in case the power runs out.
Hands down, not just one of the most unique and motorized ones around, but one of the best fishing kayaks you can get your hands on.
- The motor, included with this best fishing kayak runner, simplifies the operation process
- Adjustable side arms to improve stability
- This option #10 best fishing kayak can cruise at a decent speed
- Provides an efficient way to fish and kayak at the same time
- The motor allows for reverse and forward motions
- The Fissot kayak delivers a great performance overall, landing it on our best fishing kayaks guide here!
- Multiple, adjustable parts can cause problems in this offering of the Fissot fishing kayak
- Not versatile enough to be used with dynamic flow conditions
- The inclusion of a motor makes the kayak less of a kayak, and more like a small boat
11. Hobie Pro Angler 17T
#11 on our best fishing kayak list is the Hobie Pro Angler 17T:
The Hobie Pro Angler 17T weighs 206.5 lbs. Adding a few features, such as the seats, will increase its weight to 244 lbs. The boat is able to comfortably accommodate a maximum weight of 900 lbs. This weight capacity makes it easy to carry two above-average weight adults, as well as whatever gear you will be taking.
One of the few tandem fishing kayaks you’ll find, and obviously, one of the best fishing kayaks you’ll find, period!
The Hobie Pro Angler 17T best fishing kayak comes equipped with the signature Hobie MirageDrive 180 pedals, that are super easy to use and extremely efficient in providing speed control. This model of kayaks introduces the H-rails, which are meant to be used for various purposes, including attaching your rod holders. You can also hold on to the rails for extra anchorage while fishing.
Rod holders were an important consideration for each of these best fishing kayak possibilities to be on our list. In this regards, the Hobie Pro Angler 17T does not disappoint!
Topping off this mini fishing kayak review with a quick pros & cons list, here we go:
- Contains comfortable three mode seating capability
- Good pairing vessel for teaching new kayakers and anglers
- Efficient control system, in the form of pedaling/paddling capability and rudder control
- Very light which means solid speed levels
- Option to add a small trolling motor, ideal for tracking
- Tons of storage space, making it an easy pick as one of the best fishing kayaks on the market!
- Open cockpit leaves you prone to cockpit splashes in unruly waves
- Vantage XT seat can become uncomfortable over long periods of time
Best Fishing Kayak Honorable Mentions
This section is for best fishing kayaks that still made it in our top 14, but obviously, not in our top 11. We still consider them amazing options, so have a look at the last three best fishing kayak that received our honorable mentions.
12. Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Best Fishing Kayak
Welcome to the #12 selection of our best fishing kayak: ranked as the highest kayak in the Outdoor Life Magazine’s May article 2017, the Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 hands-free game changer boasts of an unmatched ability to maintain casting distance and stop on a dime. This fishing kayak review will jump into the Slayer Propel 13’s features and a pros and cons list.
The ability of the Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 to move quietly is one of its best feature and one that fisherman can really appreciate!
At 33″ wide, this Native Watercraft kayak is by no means a sea kayak. Its overall design makes it more stealthy than other fishing boats but even so, it can only work efficiently in river waters that are not very deep (designed for 12”-18” minimum depth).
When it comes to additional features, the Slayer Propel 13 kayak has a solar screen HiFlow 3D mesh that is suspended over the seats in order to ensure that you remain well-ventilated throughout the day, especially when fishing under the scorching sun.
The Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 best fishing kayak also has a sliding rail system which can be easily adjusted by loosening two thumbscrews. With an impressive speed that can cover 4.2 miles per hour all day or 5.2 miles when the thunderstorm rolls in, paddlers can choose to go as fast or as slow as they want. Needless to say, this is the most versatile pedal-driven fishing kayak on the market.
- Casting distance control that allows the paddler to effectively control their casting distance
- Stand-up sight fishing option
- This best fishing kayak option contains a removable drive system that allows you to pedal when you need to and paddle when you don’t
- Can easily maintain high speed for a longer duration, a careful consideration for a best fishing kayak
- The rudder may scrape, but with its plastic nature, it would be easily replaceable
13. Vibe Sea Ghost 130 Angler
More details coming soon in our Vibe Ghost 130 fishing kayak review!
For all these reasons, the Vibe Sea Ghost is one of the best fishing kayaks on the market and is here as an honorable mention on our best fishing kayak list (and trust us, there are a dozen options on the market that aren’t that great).
14. Riot Escape 12 Angler Sit On Top
Check out the Riot Escape 12 Angler on Amazon! More information coming soon!
Rounding out or list of best fishing kayak is the Riot Escape 12 Angler.
Best Fishing Kayak Reviews Summary!
Well, ladies & gents, that’s our compilation of the best fishing kayak in a mini fishing kayak reviews format that you can find on the market in 2017 & 2018!
They all vary in price, build, and most of them are of solid quality, if not great quality. In the end, the decision of which best fishing kayak fits your needs. Please keep in mind that this isn’t about the best fishing kayak which means that no particular kayak, even our #1 selection, is perfect; each of these fishing kayaks has pros and cons.
Hopefully our mini best fishing kayak reviews provide you with enough information to invest in a great fishing kayak!
PS. If you’ve found our best fishing kayak guide helpful, then you will find our other kayak reviews helpful! If you’d like to shop of an inflatable kayak, check out our Inflatable Kayak Guide. For our overall list of best kayaks, check out our Best Kayaks Guide. Looking for kayaks to store away super easily? Well, hell then, check out our Origami Kayaks Guide!